[rabbitmq-discuss] Fwd: RabbitMQ 2.8.2 Erlang crash

Francesco Mazzoli francesco at rabbitmq.com
Wed Jun 13 11:53:10 BST 2012

Hi,

> I have a problem with starting RabbitMQ service after spliting
> cluster.  Software crash everytime during
> "/etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server start".

What do you mean by "splitting cluster"? I'd interpret it as "the
connection was severed between the two nodes", but maybe it's
something different, considering that you're having problems
*starting* nodes. In any case, clustering in rabbit does not tolerate
partitions well. The most it can take is simply nodes going down and
then up again, but if the data in the tables diverge, things will go
wrong.

In your case, since you're getting a timeout in the database boot
step, I'd guess that for some reason mnesia thinks that it has to wait
the tables in the other nodes first. This typically happen when
trying to start a node of an offline cluster before starting the last
node to go down (mnesia wants the last node to go down first because
it has the most up-to-date data). Normally rabbit will terminate with
a friendlier error message ("please start up the last node to go down"
or similar) but if you shut down the nodes abruptly this won't happen
and you'll get an hanging node.

If what I described above matches your situation, then you can refer
to this other post I just sent regarding those situations:
http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2012-June/020594.html
. If it doesn't, can you describe in more detail what you are doing to
get that? The logs would help too.

Francesco.