[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ connections blocked and not receiving simple messages

Renne Rocha me at rennerocha.com
Mon Jun 11 20:36:35 BST 2012

  Matthias,

>>   Reading the docs (http://www.rabbitmq.com/memory.html#diskfreesup) I
>> found that the default value is 1.0 times the amount of total RAM is
>> required to be free on the Mnesia partition. But how do I know what is
>> the suitable value to be set? Is there any rule? Or should I
>> try-and-error until my system works fine?
>
> Well, 1.0xRAM is a suitable value, which is why it's the default ;)
>
> You have 16GB of memory but just 2GB of free disk space. If you really must get rabbit working in such a constrained environment, then set the limit to a very low number. But be advised that any use of persistent messages or paging is going to exhaust disk space pretty quickly and may result in rabbit crashing.

  It works perfectly with a disk_free_limit lower than 2Gb as
expected. So the problem really is the disk space. Thank you for the
help!

  And no! I don't have to get RabbitMQ working in such a constrained
environment.

  I realized that the default partition on what the mnesia database
files was stored have insufficient disk space. To solve that, I set
the environment variable RABBITMQ_MNESIA_BASE
(http://www.rabbitmq.com/relocate.html) to a partition that have
enough space. Now it is working!

  Thank you!

  Renne Rocha