[rabbitmq-discuss] Crashes - init terminating?

Steve Powell steve at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jul 31 12:22:00 BST 2012

Don,

Since our last conversation the latest release has become 2.8.4.

>> Did you run `sudo port load rabbitmq-server` which starts the service in
>> the background?
> No - and I've never had to before.

Well, you don't have to, but if you don't you need to start the server
yourself (`sudo rabbitmq-server` or `sudo rabbitmq-server -detached`)
before running rabbitmqctl etc. Did you? If you didn't then you have an
old version still running -- this may be scuppered because of an Erlang
upgrade during the rabbitmq-server install. So...

I think your problems are probably caused by having two installations
interfering (or possibly an old Erlang version).

If you haven't installed rabbitmq-server or Erlang by any other means
than macports then the following sequence will probably get you working.

(If you have, please ensure that the other installations are correctly
removed (including any plugin directories, environment variable
settings, &c.) before proceeding.)

Execute the following steps:

1) obtain the latest macports version `sudo port selfupdate` (Macports
   2.1.2 is what I get today.)

2) perform `sudo port upgrade outdated` (this might cure everything, but
   just in case...)

3) uninstall all previous versions of rabbitmq-server (`sudo port
   uninstall rabbitmq-server` should do it) check these are all gone:
   `sudo port installed rabbitmq-*`

4) clean up: `sudo port -u -v uninstall` will remove any debris from the
   macports repository

5) check your Erlang version: `sudo port installed erlang*` (should be
   active) upgrade this is it old (should have been done already above)

6) perform a clean install: `sudo port install rabbitmq-server` (check
   what version you get)

7) OBSERVE the instructions issued during this install about `sudo port
   load rabbitmq-server`. You might want to start rabbitmq in the
   background this way, or start it the normal way if you want. But
   start it.

Now everything should work. Come back here if it doesn't. In
particular, the output from when you start the server and the first
rabbitmqctl command.

Hope all goes smoothly for you.

Steve Powell  (a happy bunny)
----------yet more definitions from the SPD----------
corrugate (n.) T.V. soap scandal.
olympic (n.) A camp road-digger.
jamboree (n.) A conserve made from French cheese.

>>> Dan