[rabbitmq-discuss] Crashes - init terminating?

Steve Powell steve at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jul 31 11:56:18 BST 2012

Dan,
Reposting on Discuss.  Please continue correspondence on ths rabbitmq-discuss mailing list.

From: 	Dan Dart <dan at canddi.com>
Subject: 	Re: [rabbitmq-discuss] Crashes - init terminating?
Date: 	30 July 2012 18:07:05 GMT+01:00
To: 	Steve Powell <steve at rabbitmq.com>

> Did you run `sudo port load rabbitmq-server` which starts the service in
> the background?
No - and I've never had to before.

> Now accessing the rabbitmqctl and rabbitmq-server scripts from the
> command line requires that you issue them as root, done with sudo:
>
>    sudo rabbitmqctl status
>
> This should give a reasonable response.

Doesn't look reasonable to me:
{"init terminating in
do_boot",{undef,[{rabbit_control,start,[]},{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot ()

> To see if the server has problems you should look in the log directory
> (/opt/local/var/log/rabbitmq/*) where you should have two logs for each
> rabbitmq node you run. (By default this is rabbit@<hostname>.log and
> -sasl.log.) I suspect there will be nothing untoward there.

Getting lots of connection_closed_abruptly - although I suspect this is normal.
And nothing in the sasl log.

> I cannot reproduce your symptoms unless I disable the -pa option on the
> (eventual) erl command, so it looks as though you have an environment
> problem. Please check the following directory:
>
>    /opt/local/lib/rabbitmq/lib/rabbitmq_server-2.8.2/
>
> and see if the scripts are in sbin/, and there are a lot of beam files
> in ebin/.
[Dan-Darts-iMac:lib/rabbitmq_server-2.8.2/sbin] DanDart% ls
rabbitmq-defaults	rabbitmq-env		rabbitmq-plugins	rabbitmq-server		rabbitmqctl

[Dan-Darts-iMac:lib/rabbitmq_server-2.8.2/ebin] DanDart% ls
credit_flow.beam
[...snip...]

> PS:
> [You might be using a non-standard prefix for macport install
> files -- if so, the /opt/local in this directory path might be something
> different for you -- and we may have a bug, since we are supposed to
> cope with that.]

Nope - it's the same. I just used a standard "port install
rabbitmq-server" and don't remember doing anything that would break
it.

Is that any help?

Regards
Dan

Steve Powell  (a happy bunny)
----------yet more definitions from the SPD----------
corrugate (n.) T.V. soap scandal.
olympic (n.) A camp road-digger.
jamboree (n.) A conserve made from French cheese.