[rabbitmq-discuss] Shovel questions

Elias Levy fearsome.lucidity at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 18:05:59 GMT 2012

From: Simon MacMullen <simon at rabbitmq.com>

> Federation requires e-e bindings in the upstream, it creates an internal
> exchange (that it uses to be able to create a load of bindings
atomically).

Simon,

Interesting.  I suppose you create a new exchange, create a number of
bindings against the exchange, then create an exchange-to-exchange binding
against the new exchange to apply all those bindings atomically, yes?

That's a good trick to know, since AMQP does not give you a way to create
multiple bindings atomically.

I am curious as to whether this helps at all with binding churn.  I know
its recommended to long term bindings to avoid binding churn, but this is
often not possible, as a client may need to change its bindings
dynamically.  Would making use private client exchange, creating the
dynamic bindings against it, and the creating the single e2e binding help
with binding churn?

I imagine it would not, since the additional bindings still will cause lots
of changes to the distributed Mnesia DB.

Elias