[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmqctl stall/hang when leaving a cluster

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Wed Feb 22 23:05:56 GMT 2012

I was able to just now repro this again. Because of some layers of
scripting, it turns out it's not hanging up when running rabbitmq-server.
Rather, it's hanging up when running "rabbitmqctl wait <pidfile>"

The output from rabbitmqctl when run on any node is:

Waiting for rabbit at play ...   << Where 'play' is the node that's
restarting>>
pid is 21925 ...                     << Where the PID value is different
depending on which node it's run>>

The last few lines of the event log for the 'play' node:

=INFO REPORT==== 22-Feb-2012::14:52:08 ===
Stopping Rabbit

=INFO REPORT==== 22-Feb-2012::14:52:08 ===
    application: rabbitmq_management
    exited: stopped
    type: permanent

=INFO REPORT==== 22-Feb-2012::14:52:08 ===
    application: rabbitmq_management_agent
    exited: stopped
    type: permanent

=INFO REPORT==== 22-Feb-2012::14:52:08 ===
stopped TCP Listener on 0.0.0.0:5672

=INFO REPORT==== 22-Feb-2012::14:52:08 ===
    application: rabbit
    exited: stopped
    type: permanent

=INFO REPORT==== 22-Feb-2012::14:52:08 ===
    application: os_mon
    exited: stopped
    type: permanent

=INFO REPORT==== 22-Feb-2012::14:52:08 ===
    application: mnesia
    exited: stopped
    type: permanent

=INFO REPORT==== 22-Feb-2012::14:52:08 ===
Halting Erlang VM

=INFO REPORT==== 22-Feb-2012::14:52:13 ===
Limiting to approx 924 file handles (829 sockets)