[rabbitmq-discuss] Design Help?

James Aimonetti james at 2600hz.com
Mon Feb 20 17:04:12 GMT 2012

Hey list,

Curious for feedback, as this design idea I have would possibly extend
to several places in our application, and I'd love to make it generic
enough to do so.

The basic problem:

We have a queue of work to be done, represented as a named queue. For
redundancy, we have 2->many processes (in Erlang) that will read from
the queue and do the work. Easy so far.

However, we also have a list of resources needed to process the work
queue, which needs to be shared across all worker processes. When one
worker retrieves a job from the work queue, it must also get the list of
available resources, match resource to job, and return the list of
resources (with the used resource flagged as such) back to a globally
accessible place (hoping to avoid the DB, but it may be a good-enough
sync point).

So, for example, there are four jobs, two that require a paper shredder,
two that require a wood chipper. There is only one paper shredder and
one wood chipper. There are also 10 workers available to actually shred
stuff.

Worker one consumes the list of available equipment (one paper shredder,
one wood chipper), and then pulls the first job (paper to be shredded).
Worker one grabs the paper shredder, returns the list of resources
having flagged the paper shredder as in use, and ACKs the job. When
worker one finishes shredding paper, it will wait until the resources
list is available and update it with 1 more paper shredder available.

Once a job is actually started, I don't care if the worker crashes or
not; that will be handled later. And I'll have a supervising gen_server
pull the resource list, add the resource its using to its state, and
spawn the actual worker (catching exits to return the resource). I'm
sure other measures will be needed to ensure the resource is added back
eventually, but I'm trying to get the basic idea down.

So once worker one is done retrieving a resource, worker two can next
get the resources list and the next job. If the job is paper shredding,
worker two will nack the job (as there are no paper shredders at the
moment) and return the resource list. I will eventually want to support
being able to requeue the job to the back of the job queue, but for now,
work stalls until the first item in the queue can be processed successfully.

So while the resources list is out of queue, no workers will consume
jobs from the work queue. As soon as it reappears in queue, I want the
next worker in line to grab it and try to process the next job.

Some initial concerns:

No resources available for the job at the front of the queue means a lot
of fetching and nacking of jobs, and fetching/returning the resource list.

Losing the resources list: if whatever node (our Erlang VMs only
communicate via AMQP) goes down while handling the resources list, it
will obviously never be republished. We do usually have a timeout window
for the worker to get a resource for a job (sometimes the actual finding
of the resource takes a while), so if I could coordinate all workers
consuming from the resources_available queue, I could know after timeout
+ a small fudge factor, that someone else should have begun processing.
So maybe the resources_available queue is more a try_to_process_a_job
queue, and each worker process maintains an identical list of resources
available, with a worker that pairs a job to resource publishing the
resource's in-use status.

So perhaps the solution is:

Jobs queue round robins amongst all workers, but only one worker can
fetch/(n)ack. A worker can only fetch from the jobs queue by consuming a
"next" message from a shared coordination queue. All workers publish
updates to resources available to a routing key so all workers'
resources state is in sync. If a worker can't find a resource for a job,
it can (configurable) 1) nack the job and send a 'next' to the
coordination queue; 2) requeue the job at the end of the jobs queue and
send a 'next'; 3) sit on the job (meaning no other worker can fetch from
the jobs queue) until an appropriate resource comes available.

Concerns here:

Starting/recovering the 'next' token.

I'm sure others but am realizing this is getting long.

Sorry for the wall of text and stream of consciousness writing. We have
a lot of places where this pattern is showing up and would love to get a
module or library written to ease doing this kind of coordination. Any
ideas or directions towards appropriate messaging patterns warmly welcome :)

- --
James Aimonetti
Distributed Systems Engineer / DJ MC_

2600hz | http://2600hz.com