[rabbitmq-discuss] Performance of "blocking publisher-confirms" vs. transactions

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Thu Feb 16 21:44:14 GMT 2012

Hi Simone,

| Can you describe why you think publisher confirms are not appropriate in
your scenario?

I think if you read the paragraph that starts with "At the heart of things"
it describes the scenario in enough detail. In a follow up, Simon MacMullen
appears to agree that publisher confirms aren't ideal for us.

In short, when we publish a message, we must know that the broker safely
has it. With transactions, OR a blocking publisher-confirm model, the
client is assured it has it.

HOWEVER, all the publisher-confirm descriptions/examples I've seen assume
an async model: Publish a message and some time later you'll be told that
the message is safely in the broker's hands. However, that window between
those two events is the crux of the problem in our environment.

Assume we went with the async publisher-confirm model as suggested. What if
our client dies and is not around to re-send the message? Or what if the
client dies, and milliseconds later the broker dies? No publisher confirm
would be forthcoming, and hence, lost messages.

Top level problem for us: Our state machine, which persists every critical
change of state to a database, will be incorrect. We will have recorded
"Yup, that message was sent", when in reality it might not have made it to
broker, or the broker died before the confirm could be sent.

By not recording that we've sent the message until AFTER a
transaction/publisher-confirm completes, we can guarantee the integrity of
our state-machine. However, as we've all seen, transactions impose a limit
on message throughput. I'm simply trying to understand if there's any
non-trivial message rate difference expected between using a transaction
vs. waiting in my publish routine for the confirm.

| If you happen to be using the .NET API this is already implemented, the
WaitForConfirms and WaitForConfirmsOrDie on the IModel interface provide
this behavior.

Unfortunately, I'm not on a .NET client. I'm using Python/Pika. I'd
consider going to the c-library (wrapped from Python) if there's some
non-trivial benefit to using a synchronous publisher-confirm.

Thanks,

Matt