[rabbitmq-discuss] Huge memory Consumption in RabbitMQ client

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Thu Feb 16 11:26:54 GMT 2012

Hi Ashish,

On 15/02/12 14:51, Ashish Jain wrote:
> We are running a rabbitmq server on IP1 and a simple client application
> on IP2. We are observing an abrupt memory consumption on the *client
> *end which goes on till all the messages are pumped in rabbitmq and after
> that memory usage remains constant. This particular situation has
> already led us to few OOM.

Unless the channel QoS is set to non-zero value, the broker will send as
many messages to a consumer as it can. This can lead the consumer to run
out of memory.

If you rerun your tests with QoS set to a small value then you should
observe a different client memory consumption pattern, and the consumer
will have more control the delivery rate.

See the Channel.basicQos(int prefetchCount) method in the Java client.

Emile