[rabbitmq-discuss] Looking for guidance on R14B04 vs. R13B03 performance

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Wed Feb 15 17:15:44 GMT 2012

Thanks Simon. The 5% figure is useful for me.

Let me give you a more precise description of what I'm doing to get the 36
message/sec.

   - RabbitMQ 2.71 on a 3-node cluster with mirrored queues, durable on all
   nodes.
   - Client is Python 2.6/Pika 0.9.5.
   - Each message publish occurs in a transaction so that we can be sure
   it's safely in RabbitMQ.
   - All nodes are Ubuntu 10.04 VMs with 4GB RAM and 2 or 4 vCPUs.

At the heart of things, we're driving a highly complex state machine that
manages thousands of VMs and their associated state. Losing track of any
state is prohibitively expensive to clean up manually. As such, all state
is modeled in clustered databases and/or persistent messages in the message
queue. We have to assume that a given client app instance (our management
code) may be ungracefully terminated at any moment, so enough state must be
modeled to let a new instance pick up and recover. If our database record
indicates that a message has been sent, it better darn well be in the hands
of the RabbitMQ broker, and not sitting in some Pika client-side queue.

For this reasons, publisher-confirms are not particularly helpful - They
assume that the client app will be around to resend the message if the
message doesn't get confirmed. Similar story for batching messages. We have
to know they've been sent, and we can't stall our state machine waiting for
enough message to accumulate to publish multiple messages at once.

My goal in my latest round of experiments is to see what the maximum
throughput of a highly available system is in optimal circumstances. We're
perfectly willing to spend the money on high end SSDs and networking
equipment as necessary.

To prototype what this perf level is, I've configured RabbitMQ with the
MNESIA directory pointing to a ramdisk (/tmp). I've configured all the VMs
with VMXNET3 networking, am with 16K blocks, are seeing bandwidth of
130MB/sec between VMs in the cluster.

My test app simply writes 6 byte message, one at a time, as quickly as it
can. In monitoring the cluster nodes, I'm seeing very low CPU usage, very
few writes to the physical disk, and network operation rates of about
700/sec for the master node and 350/sec for the client node.

In short, there's a bottleneck somewhere and it's not obvious where. I'll
try your suggestion about replacing tx.commit. Any other insight or
guidance would of course be very much appreciated. :-)

Matt