[rabbitmq-discuss] Installing & initializing rabbitmq when the application is installed

Jean Paul Galea ninuhadida at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 08:48:36 GMT 2012

Hi Anthony,

We are in the process of doing something similar.

We decided to use ansible (webpage at http://ansible.cc/) to automate
installation and deployment of a RabbitMQ cluster.

The playbook (an ansible script to automate some tasks) is pretty
simple; it adds external repositories (erlang, rabbitmq), installs the
packages, writes some configuration files (e.g. same cookie for the
whole cluster) and then starts up the daemons.

Since exchanges/queues/users/vhosts/policies cannot be configured in the
standard conf files, we're written a bash script to invoke rabbitmqctl
and does these kind of things.

There are other automation tools (puppet, cfengine, salt, etc) but I
found ansible to be the right balance in being simple to set up without
limiting what it can achieve.

Jean Paul