[rabbitmq-discuss] Question on RabbitMQ's message copying

Ashwin Raghav ashwinraghav at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 06:50:28 GMT 2012

I had a questions about how(whether) rabbit internally copies a message
from an exchange to a queue.
I have read the documentation that says "Exchanges copy messages to queues
using rules called bindings".

I was wondering whether this is a logical copy or an actual full-on copy. I
ask because I was posed with a question recently on a project that I work
on. Why are you physically copying the same message to so many queues?
Would something like a reference count implementation with just a single
copy of the message not suffice?

Kindly clarify.

Ashwin Raghav Mohan Ganesh