[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ clustering woes

gerhard gerhard at lazu.co.uk
Thu Aug 30 15:08:43 BST 2012

Running a rabbitmq cluster makes rabbitmq extremely unstable. I have a very
simple, 2 nodes setup (both disc) for HA purposes. The most important
queues have the HA flag ensuring they get replicated on both nodes so that
if one goes down, the clients can reconnect to the other one and continue
consuming messages as if nothing happened. In theory, it sounds perfect,
but in practice it's such a pain!

If one node goes down, the performance of the remaining node gets seriously
affected. Everything slows down, on occasions the broker just crashes. Any
rabbitmqctl commands on the remaing node take 30seconds+ if the node is
relatively quiet. Resetting the cluster doesn't work without a force_reset,
I keep getting the *no_running_cluster_nodes* error.

Is anyone else having the same issues with RabbitMQ clustering? As it
stands, it's pretty unusable. I'm running RabbitMQ *2.8.6* on Erlang *R13B03
under Ubuntu 10.04.03 64bit, installed via the official *
http://www.rabbitmq.com/debian/dists/testing/* packages.*