[rabbitmq-discuss] How to remove a node from cluster without loosing data?

Nithya Vijayakumar nithyanirmal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 19:29:59 BST 2012

Hi,

Have a quick question regarding the steps to remove a node from a cluster.

I have a two node cluster and I want to remove the second node. In the
first node, I updated the /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config file with just the
first node's info and restarted rabbitmq including epmd. It still forms a
cluster with the second node. The second node was up and rabbitmq
application was running. I tried again after stopping the second node
rabbitmq, but the first node says it is still in cluster mode with the
second one.

I tried rabbitmqctl stop_app, rabbitmqctl reset and rabbitmqctl start_app
on the first node. This worked but all my queues and users on node one were
gone. I don't think this is right, I must be missing something.

Please help with the correct steps to remove the second node from cluster
and make the first node still retain the data.

Thanks!
Nithya