[rabbitmq-discuss] STOMP instalation on Ubuntu

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Apr 20 11:22:07 BST 2012

Matthew,

On 16/04/12 16:38, m.luchak at smartasking.com wrote:
> On my other question; Does anyone have insight as to the "right way" to
> implement the following:
>
> A consumer comes online and subscribes to a topic exchange after
> messages have been published. This consumer must receive the prior messages.

Can you explain in more detail what behaviour you are looking for? On
the surface it would appear to require a broker to remember messages
indefinitely. I.e. unless the broker has prior knowledge of all
consumers, it has no way of knowing when it is safe to discard a message
since another consumer may come along in, say, a year's time, subscribe
to the topic, and expect to receive all prior messages.

> I understand that using STOMP is one way to acheive this, but is it the
> only way?

Rabbit's stomp plug-in uses AMQP under the covers. So whatever it
accomplishes certainly can also be achieved with AMQP.

Regards,

Matthias.