[rabbitmq-discuss] Anything special on dev.rabbitmq.com wrt. x-expire?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Sep 27 07:09:14 BST 2011

Bernhard,

On 27/09/11 01:29, Bernhard Weisshuhn wrote:
> while adding support for queue arguments to a node.js amqp library, we
> noticed a puzzling behaviour on dev.rabbitmq.com: Redeclaring an existing
> queue with differing x-expire values is accepted, even over the same
> connection. Discusson here: https://github.com/postwait/node-amqp/pull/25

I suspect the queue is expiring before the second queue.declare. The
expiry value in the test is just 300 milliseconds. Depending on network
conditions and load on dev.rabbitmq.com, that could easily get exceeded.

So a) choose a higher value, and b) consider using 'nowait=true' in the
queue.declare and pipeline the two requests (I have no idea whether
node.amqp can do that, but it should ;) in order to minimise the effects
of network latency.

Regards,

Matthias.