[rabbitmq-discuss] Fairness wrt queues under heavy load

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Oct 11 12:22:00 BST 2011

Andrea,

On 11/10/11 12:15, Rosa, Andrea wrote:
> This is an interesting point for me. I experienced with delay and
> messages sitting in the queue with 0 consumers but from the consumer
> side there are no errors so maybe rabbit thinks there is no consumer
> ready...how is it possible? Under which circumstances rabbit "can
> think" in this (wrong) way?

Rabbit is never wrong ;) If the management ui / rabbitmqctl show that a
queue has no consumers then it really has no consumers.

It is possible that consumer programs may think they are still connected
to rabbit when in fact their connection has been closed.

Check the rabbit logs for disconnect events, and list the connections
with the management ui / rabbitmqctl and correlate that with any
consumer programs you think you should be connected.

Matthias.