[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Windows 2008r2 Setup

Robert Raschke rtrlists at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 22 11:49:22 GMT 2011

Hi Steve,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 8:10 AM, steve flitcroft
<steve.flitcroft at gmail.com>wrote:

> I am currently investigating the best way to setup RabbitMQ on our
> infrastructure. Over the last few days I have been playing with the
> idea of using Cluster and Failover feature of Win2008 r2 however this
> would only give me an single Active/Passive cluster and I would have
> to use shared storage for the rabbitmq instances and the nature in
> which the windows services install make this a bit of a nightmare to
> configure. Another option to enable a load balanced cluster is to use
> NLB however this does not really give the resilience that i need since
> NLB only listens for the NIC and not configured to ensure that
> rabbitmq service is actually in a fit state. I really need the
> consumers to use the same dns entry without any intelligence to be
> dynamically switching addresses.
>
> Could I draw upon anybody else's experience in configuring RabbitMQ on
> a windows infrastructure. I have considered using some linux boxes and
> ha proxy to load balance a windows rabbitmq cluster however our
> corporate IT are reluctant to introduce different OS's onto the
> estate!

What exactly makes shared storage so difficult?

Personally, I always recommend that the data for my Windows hosted apps
reside on a network storage device. This allows for "easy" passive
failover, log file access, and backup. I have also found that most
companies frown very heavily on machine local data storage, mostly for the
same reasons. The only reason to have data stored on the local machine,
would be performance. But I've yet to see network storage be a bottleneck.
YMMV.

Robby