[rabbitmq-discuss] STOMP performance problems at > 1200 messages/s

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Nov 8 19:11:22 GMT 2011

On 08/11/11 18:22, Al Tobey wrote:
> 1.) We started paying attention and caring about delays

If messages were "going in and coming out just fine at 5000-6000
messages/s", then no backlog, and hence no increasing delay, can have
developed.

If rabbit was happily coping with 5-6kHz at one point, without creating
a backlog, but later on it was only managing 1.2kHz then one possible
explanation is that a temporary spike may have caused enough of a
backlog to build up to force rabbit to page to disk, at which point
performance drops until the backlog clears.

> 2.) Load increased, by as much as 2x depending on time of day

So is your main complaint then that the message rates rabbit can cope
with when using stomp are lower than what you expect to see? If so, what
is that expectation based on? A comparison with using RabbitMQ with
AMQP? Rabbit's stomp processing is a fair bit slower than handling AMQP.

Regards,

Matthias.