[rabbitmq-discuss] how to detect bad username/password in 0.9.5?

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Mon May 9 16:38:04 BST 2011

On 09/05/11 16:12, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> In trying to track this down with RabbitMQ 2.4.1 and Pika 0.9.6pre0 I am
> not seeing any reply back from Rabbit after a Connection.StartOk is
> sent, the socket just closes.
>
> Is this expected behavior from the broker perspective?

Indeed, AMQP says:

"""
There is no hand-shaking for errors on connections that are not fully
open. [...P]rior to sending or receiving Open or Open-Ok, a peer that
detects an error MUST close the socket without sending any further data.
"""

The names of exceptions thrown by other RabbitMQ libraries when this
condition is encountered (e.g. PossibleAuthenticationFailureException)
aim to provide a hint that incorrect login details are the leading cause
of problems in this area.

-Emile