[rabbitmq-discuss] Unexpected server crash and .NET API: disconnect is not detected?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu Mar 31 19:59:13 BST 2011

Alfonso,

Alfonso Pantoja wrote:
> That's is interesting.
> We won't have many consumer/publisher applications but there will be
> quite frequent (intensive) incoming messages. Also in this scenario it
> is critical to detect unexpected disconnections.
> So I'd better add support for customize this value in order to gain fine
> control on production.

Requiring heartbeats is by no means normal. They are usually only
necessary when something weird is going on in the network infrastructure
or client/server machine setup. Unfortunately that is all too common.

Btw, another downside to short heartbeats is that if a client machine
gets heavily loaded then connections may get dropped due to missed
heartbeats.

So, as a general rule, configure the heartbeat interval to be as long as
possible.

Regards,

Matthias.