[rabbitmq-discuss] JMS audit/logging/resubmission web tool

extoa adam at middleware360.com
Tue Jun 28 01:23:41 BST 2011

Hey everyone, I am hoping this email might stir some good conversation, I
would love to hear what everyone else is doing in this space.

I'm searching around to see if a particular tool exists, I can't seem to
find one so I thought I would see what everyone else is doing.  I plan on
posting this in a few of the open source projects around to get the best
feedback.

I am looking for a software tool which I will primarily use to audit,
monitor and resubmit messages sent to a JMS message broker.  Ideally this
tool has the following features:

 - Open Source with a good community
 - Web based console to view and search messages
 - Messages are persisted in a database (SQL/NoSQL)
 - Ability to add custom "Action" buttons so that you could easily write a
plugin that "resubmits" a message back to a JMS queue/topic as well as write
whatever else you need.   Would also need the ability to "edit" the message
before resubmitting.
 - Ability to acknowledge/comment on failed messages
 - Support for displaying/viewing Java objects, (probably limits me to Java
based tools...)
 - Have the ability to send email alerts based on user defined conditions
 - Graphing, statistics and reporting regarding how many messages we're sent
to each queue/topic in 5 minute intervals grouped by topic/message type.
 - Does not need to have a JMS adaptor, as long as their is an API to get
the data into the tool, i'm sure this would be easy to write/contribute.
 - Supports millions of messages/day
 - BAM style dashboard

I would really like to have a tool like this to monitor/audit/log/replay
messages in my JMS environment.  I see a lot of similarities with what I
want in the tools like Zenoss/OpenNMS/syslog-ng/splunk etc.. as they all
have "Eventing/Syslog" capabilities.

I would prefer to add/contribute to an existing project as opposed to
building something custom myself...

- What is everyone else out there doing for auditing and tracking of failed
messages in your JMS environment?
- Which open source tool do you think is the closest to what i'm looking
for?