[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ consumer stops receiving messages

Ask Solem ask at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jul 19 12:04:36 BST 2011

> This indicates that the client is not reading from the rabbit connection socket. So this is either a problem with the client library or with the app. I am not much of a python hacker and am not familiar with stormed-amqp, but I suggest the next step is to figure out what the consumer process is doing when its stuck, i.e. somehow get a stack trace from it.

In Celery we have a signal handler to get the stack trace of all active
threads, I cut the code out into a paste for you here:

   http://pastie.org/2236433

Just call "install_cry_handler" somewhere when your process starts,
and then you can 'kill -USR1 <pid>' to make the process dump out
the stack traces.

Also ktrace/strace/dtruss can help you find out if the process
is stuck in the system call.  If you ktrace the running process,
then it should interrupt it.

I've had a similar issue in the past, which I hacked working by
adding a socket timeout.