[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmqadmin or rabbitmqctl

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jul 12 15:29:16 BST 2011

On 12/07/11 14:40, Andi Constantin wrote:
> Hi !
>
> When I start two programs who takes messages from the same queue i can
> see in the API interface in the zone "Message Rates" two channels at
> "Deliveries"
> In the Consumers are says ... no consumers ...

Was the message rate 0? Management can show a 0 message rate for a given
(queue, channel) combination if there have previously been messages
delivered for that combination (even if there aren't any being delivered
now). Also the web interface conflates deliveries (to consumers) and
gets (which don't require consumers) - if any of your clients use
basic.get then that can contribute to message rates without consumers
being involved.

However, if you're really seeing messages being consumed while the
management interface says "no consumers" then that's a bug. This is
quite well-used code though, so I'd be interested in how you managed to
trigger it.

> How can i see that with rabbitmqadmin or rabbitmqctl ?

I'm not sure what "that" is, so here are some possible answers:

$ rabbitmqctl list_consumers

will list all consumers, with columns [queue, channel pid, consumer tag,
acks required].

$ rabbitmqctl list_queues name consumers

will list the count of consumers for each queue.

$ rabbitmqadmin list queues name consumers

will do the same.

Does that answer your question?

Cheers, Simon

--