[rabbitmq-discuss] Confusion about location of Windows rabbitmq.config

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Sun Jan 16 11:51:32 GMT 2011

On 13/01/2011 6:59PM, Paul Pearcy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been through the install docs a couple of times and am still
> baffled about the location of the rabbitmq.config file on Windows. There
> are two sections:
>
> RABBITMQ_CONFIG_FILE
>
> Defaults to%RABBITMQ_BASE%\rabbitmq.
<snip>
> Then in the link for the configuration file, there are the following
> details:
>
> The location of this configuration file is distribution specific. By
> default, it is located in the following places on each platform:
>
> ·Windows- %APPDATA%\RabbitMQ\rabbitmq.config
<snip>
> Maybe I am missing something obvious, but these seem to disagree.

I don't think they do, since RABBITMQ_BASE defaults to %APPDATA%\RabbitMQ.

> I have attempted to be explicit instead by setting the following env var:
>
> RABBITMQ_CONFIG_FILE= D:\rabbitmq\rabbitmq
>
> I would then expect this to pick up this config file:
>
> D:\rabbitmq\rabbitmq.config

That looks correct.

> However, none of my settings are taking effect and I can’t figure out
> how to tell which config file the rabbitmq install is picking up. What
> is the easiest way for rabbitmq to tell me where it is looking for the
> config file?

Hmm. At the moment, I think you would need to add an echo statement to
the rabbitmq-server.bat file, something like:

echo CONFIG FILE: !RABBITMQ_CONFIG_FILE!.config

around line 136 or so.

We should probably display this location on startup though.

Cheers, Simon