[rabbitmq-discuss] Confusion about location of Windows rabbitmq.config

Paul Pearcy paul.pearcy at wallst.com
Thu Jan 13 18:59:28 GMT 2011

Hello,
  I have been through the install docs a couple of times and am still baffled about the location of the rabbitmq.config file on Windows. There are two sections:

RABBITMQ_CONFIG_FILE
Defaults to %RABBITMQ_BASE%\rabbitmq. If this file is present it is used by the server to configure RabbitMQ application components. Note that the .config extension is automatically appended by the Erlang runtime. See the section on the configuration file<http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html#configfile> for details. Note that this file is also used to auto-configure RabbitMQ clusters. See the clustering guide<http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html> for details.

Then in the link for the configuration file, there are the following details:
The location of this configuration file is distribution specific. By default, it is located in the following places on each platform:
*         Windows - %APPDATA%\RabbitMQ\rabbitmq.config
*         Debian - /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config
*         RPM - /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config
*         MacOS (Macports) - /opt/local/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config
*         Generic UNIX - /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config

Maybe I am missing something obvious, but these seem to disagree.

I have attempted to be explicit instead by setting the following env var:
RABBITMQ_CONFIG_FILE= D:\rabbitmq\rabbitmq

I would then expect this to pick up this config file:
D:\rabbitmq\rabbitmq.config

However, none of my settings are taking effect and I can't figure out how to tell which config file the rabbitmq install is picking up. What is the easiest way for rabbitmq to tell me where it is looking for the config file?

Any help or clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul