[rabbitmq-discuss] Unable to get automatic clustering to work

Mark J. Reed markjreed at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:16:59 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Alexandru Scvorţov
<alexandru at rabbitmq.com> wrote:
>> I'm running 1.7.2 (because that's what's in the repos for Ubuntu 10.04)
>
> That really is ancient and you should upgrade.

It came out what, 11 months ago?  I guess that makes it "ancient" in
Internet time, but in that case we're running an OS that is almost as
ancient.

> At some point (2.0, I think), we changed the way automatic clustering
> works.  We now read the settings from rabbitmq.config.  Before, we had a
> separate rabbitmq_cluster.config file.

And that's what I had originally, but it also didn't work.  I changed
it to the new style after RTFM, not realizing it was post- 2.x.  That
removes a lot of the confusion.  Thank you.

I switched back to the old style config and got it working.
Apparently, the problem was the use of FQDNs instead of bare hostnames
in the node list.  If I may ask, what controls that?   It seems mildly
unlikely that I would ever need to cluster two hosts that have
different domain roots, but we do deploy hosts across multiple
domains, so I'd like to understand the rule.

Thanks to everyone for the quick help!
--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed at gmail.com>