[rabbitmq-discuss] Clustering over a WAN

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Mon Feb 28 17:14:35 GMT 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:37:04AM -0600, Jon Brisbin wrote:
> Would any of these issues be resolved by using a distributed K/V store
> as the backend for both messages and metadata? I know the internals of
> using mnesia to store all that metadata can't easily be abstracted,
> but if you didn't have that particular hurdle to jump, would that make
> clustering any easier?

Quite possibly, but for example, we rely on transactions quite a lot in
mnesia which eg Riak doesn't have. If we did try and replace mnesia with
something that doesn't support transactions then it's very likely we
wouldn't be able to achieve all sorts of guarantees that are currently
required by AMQP.

There is no magic bullet to these problems.

Matthew