[rabbitmq-discuss] Clustering over a WAN

Chris Hampson Chris.Hampson at arm.com
Mon Feb 28 16:17:44 GMT 2011

Thanks Simon and Matthew for the quick responses.

I was beginning to figure that perhaps what we were trying to do was going to be problematic, which is a shame as it would've been a very neat solution to what we're trying to do.

In essence our use case is as follows:

We have groups of users and resources at each of the sites, each of these sites also have a compute cluster. We wanted a system whereby a user could essentially have a client that could subscribe to events in a site generated by the compute cluster, jobs starting/finishing, status updates, warnings etc. and act accordingly, be it automatically or through some kind of notification and then human interaction.

We also wanted to allow (very selectively) for a user at one site to subscribe for certain messages published to other sites (placing a ban on blanket subscriptions to minimise unnecessary bandwidth being wasted).

We figured this could be implemented with a cluster, all clients connecting to their local broker but publishing to a common exchange. In our tests this worked well, with users also being able to selectively get messages from other sites as well as their own (working out a scheme of users and permissions for this was fun, but we achieved it in the end).

This was essentially it, we then planned other applications on top of this base, it was shaping up nicely until we started experiencing the cluster break ups :-\

I've just looked into the shovel plugin further, and it looks as if it may not be quite dynamic enough for our use (we don't want to be re-tweaking config files every time we set up a new pattern) :-( it's beginning to look like the best way forward for now is separate brokers with custom clients acting as the shovels between sites, consuming on one, then publishing to another as necessary.

Any advice and/or tips are most welcome here, we're quite new to the world of messaging, and may be approaching this backwards (which would be a shame, as we thought we'd found a very nice solution). ;-)

Cheers,

Chris