[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Configuration Files

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Feb 3 10:02:02 GMT 2011

On 03/02/11 06:48, Lionel Cons wrote:
> Simon MacMullen<simon at rabbitmq.com>  writes:
>> ...but they don't contain anything about exchanges, bindings, queues,
>> users, vhosts or permissions. For that you can use rabbitmqctl or the
>> management plugin.
>
> So these two tools (rabbitmqctl and the management plugin with its CLI)
> seem to overlap significantly.

To some extent. They overlap in user / vhost management, and in the
list_* commands.

It's possible that rabbitmqctl might in future lose the list_* commands,
but I think they'll continue to both have user management - in the
management plugin since that manages all sorts of other things, but in
rabbitmqctl since that doesn't require you to authenticate as a Rabbit
user and thus lets you get back in if you've locked yourself out.

> Will they continue to live and diverge or will you put the management
> plugin in the core and replace rabbitmqctl with the management CLI?

They will probably both continue to live, but maybe with rabbitmqctl
becoming more stripped down.

Putting the management plugin in the core would be controversial since
it would mean RabbitMQ growing a web server and there are various
reasons why we're wary of that.

One possibility would be for the management plugin to grow an AMQP
interface, which could be moved into the core. The plugin could then
translate HTTP to AMQP. But this would be a lot of work for (IMHO)
fairly marginal gain.

> How would you automate the installation a pre-configured broker: with a
> script calling rabbitmqctl or with a JSON file to be used by the
> management CLI?

I would suggest using the management plugin since rabbitmqctl can't
create exchanges, queues or bindings. Which I should have made clearer
in the other mail, sorry.

One thing I have wondered in the past is if there would be general
interest in a configuration option for the management plugin which would
make it restore a backup on startup. Since backups get merged on restore
this would not wipe anything, but would allow you to ensure that a set
of objects was always there.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen