[rabbitmq-discuss] correct configuration for large message volume?

James Carr james.r.carr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 05:31:21 GMT 2011

Hi All,

I've been doing some experiments with rabbit over the holidays and one
thing that I run into that always bugs me is if I get a queue filled up
with >  1 million messages being published continuously (but not consumed)
on my laptop I usually wind up with rabbitMQ getting into an "odd" state.
By odd I mean:

* management console lists "?" for the number of messages in the queue
* calling rabbitmq-server stop doesn't stop the broker (I wind up having to
do a hard kill -9).
* CPU usage usually sticks around 100% (even long after the producer has
been shut down)
* Memory high watermark is not met (not even close

I'm sure that I'm either doing something stupid or missing "a correct way
to configure things" so I'd like any suggestions on what I could do here.

Thanks,
James