[rabbitmq-discuss] maximum number of amqp connections to a rabbitmq broker

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Dec 13 10:51:14 GMT 2011

On 09/12/11 18:37, Matt Sweeney wrote:
> I am also having an issue with the maximum number of allowed
> connections. While I can raise the limit, I would like a way to discard
> connections that are no longer used. Is there a method for expiring
> connections which have not been used in a certain amount of time?

The usual assumption is that clients that do not need to be connected
will disconnect, the server won't do it for them ;-)

If you wanted to do this you could write some script that pulls down the
list of connections from mgmt, looks at recv_oct_details.last_event and
send_oct_details.last_event, and closes connections that have been idle
for a certain amount of time.

It feels like quite an odd thing to want to do though - what will your
clients do when they get disconnected? I assume they won't just
reconnect. And if they know not to reconnect, why couldn't they
disconnect in the first place?

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen