[rabbitmq-discuss] Unable to start RabbitMQ server after crash because of vm_memory_high_watermark alarm.

ChrisStoyles cstoyles at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 22:51:47 BST 2011

Hi Matthew,

Yes we were running 1.7.2 :) we are planning to upgrade just as soon
as things settle down after this event.

Thanks for posting, I actually didn't get an email alert from Google
Groups that a new message had been posted hence the delay in getting
back to you.

It turns out our problem was to do with a bug in Erlang which was
noted and patched here:
http://erlang.2086793.n4.nabble.com/Patch-for-18-exabyte-memory-allocation-failure-td3342133.html

We downloaded the latest stable release of Erlang and compiled from
source. After this RabbitMQ came up without any problems whatsoever,
turns out this was an Erlang bug not RabbitMQ (because Ubuntu 10.04LTS
packages a very old version of both RabbitMQ and Erlang).

Thanks for your help.

Chris.