[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Backup

David Wragg david at rabbitmq.com
Wed Oct 27 17:40:26 BST 2010

Hi,

"Ahmed M. Osman" <a.medhat.cs at gmail.com> writes:
> OK, i can get it now this two folders (Debian based system) :
> /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at machine-name/msg_store_persistent/
> /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at machine-name/msg_store_transient/
> doesn't belongs to Mnesia am i right ?
>
> to backing up my messaging system i have to
> 1- stop the rabbit server
> 2- copy the folder "/var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/"
> 3- start the rabbit server
>

> to restore
> 1- stop the rabbit server
> 2- copy back the folder "/var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/"
> 3- start the rabbit server
>
> are there any problem with this method ?
> i tried it before and it works well with me, but i don't know, i can't fill
> good with this method ( i don't know why :( )

Yes, this should work fine (as long as the machine name doesn't change).

Of course, it has the drawback that you have to stop rabbitmq-server.

An interesting question is whether the above backup procedure will work
without stopping rabbitmq-server.  It would probably seem to work, but
whether it works under all circumstances is uncertain.  Though it would
certainly work if you use a filesystem that can give you point-in-time
snapshots.

David

--
David Wragg