[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ 2.1.1: Building from sources: No rule to make target deps.mk ?!

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Sun Nov 28 15:52:55 GMT 2010

Hi Frank,

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 03:52:51PM +0100, Frank Gönninger wrote:
> This does not produce any error but also does not produce any result either. Meanwhile I cloned the source via hg and, SUCCESS - the hg cloned source compiled as expected !
>
> I then did a diff on the Makefiles from hg depot and the source tarball:
>
> 96c95
> < 	echo $(subst : ,:,$(foreach FILE,$^,$(FILE):)) | escript generate_deps $@ $(EBIN_DIR)
> ---
> > 	escript generate_deps $(INCLUDE_DIR) $(SOURCE_DIR) \$$\(EBIN_DIR\) $@
>
> That's the relevant change that makes it work ... I did not change anything in the hg depot so it's maybe an idea to update the source tarball.

No, something's wrong there - that change is not relevant - or at least
shouldn't be.

If you:
wget http://www.rabbitmq.com/releases/rabbitmq-server/v2.1.1/rabbitmq-server-2.1.1.tar.gz
tar xzf rabbitmq-server-2.1.1.tar.gz
cd rabbitmq-server-2.1.1
make

it does just work. At least for me.

If you're building from our hg or git mirrors, then that's something
very different, and generally building from the latest head of default
is the right thing to do.

Matthew