[rabbitmq-discuss] Caching proxy for cloud HA

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue May 25 23:40:33 BST 2010

Jon,

Jon Brisbin wrote:
> I wasn't really looking at AMQP specifically. In my mind, a TCP proxy
> like HAProxy is just that. It hooks two bytes streams together. On
> one end is a client that needs to talk to a broker. On the other end
> are n number of brokers who can talk to the client. The HA in this
> case is very application and protocol agnostic. It would seem to the
> broker that a client was directly connected.

Sure, technically a generic TCP proxy in the way you described could
handle AMQP. After all, AMQP travels over TCP. However, what David and I
have been trying to point out is that *semantically* that makes no sense
at the AMQP level. Two AMQP brokers when fed with the same input data
stream will *not* produce the same output data stream. Not even at the
level of a single connection, let alone when multiple connections are
involved.

Regards,

Matthias.