[rabbitmq-discuss] socket read timeout in rabbitmq-c

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue May 25 09:00:10 BST 2010

Alex,

apologies for the delay in responding to this ...

alex chen wrote:
> I am wondering if it can support specifying a time out (e.g.
> amqp_set_timeout(int timeout)), and add select(timeout) before the
> read() in wait_frame?

That would seem like a worthwhile addition. Care to submit a patch?

> We found in several cases that amqp_channel_open hanged while doing
> read() in wait_frame_inner().

That really shouldn't happen, from an AMQP protocol perspective. Was
there anything noteworthy in the server logs? Is this reproducible? If
so it may help to run via rabbit's tracer
(http://www.rabbitmq.com/examples.html#tracer) or wireshark to see
what's happening at the protocol level and thus determine whether there
is a problem at the server end (highly unlikely) or client.

Matthias.