[rabbitmq-discuss] getting started

David Wragg david at rabbitmq.com
Tue May 11 10:24:33 BST 2010

Hi Shane,

Shane <shane at digitalsanctum.com> writes:
> I've looked over docs but nothing seems to jump out. I've put together
> a simple single node broker with one publisher and one client using
> the amqp Ruby gem on my local LAN. I'm now attempting to move the
> broker to a public server and connect to it from my existing LAN
> client. I have the broker up and running but when I attempt to connect
> to it using a local client (my workstation), I get the following
> message:
>
> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/amqp-0.6.7/lib/amqp/client.rb:65:in
> `initialize': Could not connect to server ds1:5672 (AMQP::Error)
> 	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/amqp-0.6.7/lib/amqp/client.rb:97:in
> `call'
> 	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/amqp-0.6.7/lib/amqp/client.rb:97:in
> `unbind'

Is it possible that a firewall or similar is blocking connections to
your public server?  Make sure TCP port 5672 (the AMQP port) is open
to the outside world.  Or are you on a very locked-down corporate
network, where the policy might be to block connections to the outside
world?  Those kind of explanations seem most likely.

David

--
David Wragg
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ