[rabbitmq-discuss] getting started

Shane shane at digitalsanctum.com
Tue May 11 04:07:42 BST 2010

I've looked over docs but nothing seems to jump out. I've put together
a simple single node broker with one publisher and one client using
the amqp Ruby gem on my local LAN. I'm now attempting to move the
broker to a public server and connect to it from my existing LAN
client. I have the broker up and running but when I attempt to connect
to it using a local client (my workstation), I get the following
message:

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/amqp-0.6.7/lib/amqp/client.rb:65:in
`initialize': Could not connect to server ds1:5672 (AMQP::Error)
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/amqp-0.6.7/lib/amqp/client.rb:97:in
`call'
	from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/amqp-0.6.7/lib/amqp/client.rb:97:in
`unbind'

I've updated my /etc/hosts file so ds1 points to the IP address of the
public broker. Although I'm using the amqp Ruby gem, this feels more
like a rabbitmq/network configuration issue. Can someone let me know
what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Shane