[rabbitmq-discuss] Federation in RabbitMQ

Christian Tusch ctusch at gmail.com
Fri May 7 14:22:05 BST 2010

My goal is to have reliable message delivery between services with no
central server between them. There could be hundreds of services and
each one should be able to to send and receive messages from every
other i.e. a peer to peer network. In the case of one service not
being able to reach another service the message should be transmitted
as soon as the connection is available again (also surviving a
restart). This would also mean that a formerly disconnected service
would receive all missed messages on as soon as it becomes connected
again.

So one way this could work, I figured, is that I'd need a local broker
for each service and queues for each other service a service could
possibly talk to. Now every service could subscribe to his personal
queue on every other service but I don't know if that's a good idea
since this would mean a lot of subscriptions.

The other option I've been thinking about is using federation (the way
I understand it... but maybe I'm misinterpreting it). Here I would
have a local queue again which 'federates' with it's counter part on
the receiver's side. The advantage I see with this solution is that
the services wouldn't need to subscribe to all the other services'
queues by default.

I would be really happy to hear your opinion on this matter.