[rabbitmq-discuss] configuring beam and rabbit

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 17:53:31 BST 2010

Aaron,

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 17:08, Aaron Westendorf <aaron at agoragames.com> wrote:
> I missed some changes to the rabbitmq-server script that occurred
> sometime between 1.5.0 and 1.7.0.
>
> In older versions, the script included the following line at the top:
>
>  [ -f /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.conf ] && . /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.conf
>
> The file could be used to define any of the bash options, but
> documentation and/or posts had suggested that this was how one would
> disable smp, for example:
>
>  RABBITMQ_SERVER_ERL_ARGS="-smp disable"

/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.conf is still okay. Here's a partial list of supported
parameters:
   http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html#install-windows-separately

But please, strip the "RABBITMQ_" prefix. To disable smp
put following settings to "/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.conf":
SERVER_START_ARGS="-smp disable"

> This causes a lot of confusion with the new config file,
> /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config, which seems to be the place where all
> of the application configuration should go.

Agreed, rabbitmq settings are awful.
/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.conf <- put global bash env variables here
/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config <- erlang setup config

> I feel like I've heard
> that this includes socket buffers, but I don't recall.  The only
> documentation I can find on the file relates to setting
> "vm_memory_high_watermark", which seems to be specific to rabbit and
> not the same as the old "-os_mon system_memory_high_watermark" setting
> that was embedded in the rabbitmq-server script.  Is there a complete
> reference on the format of this file and what options are available?
> Can the cluster configuration be merged into this file?
>
> I'm an erlang noob, but have worked with rabbit enough and read
> through the scripts to guess that the following content for
> rabbitmq.config would work as expected:
>
> [
>  {rabbit, [
>    {vm_memory_high_watermark, 0},
>    {cluster_config, [rabbit at host1, rabbit at host2]},
>  ]},
>  {kernel, [
>    {inet_default_listen_options,
> [{nodelay,true},{sndbuf,32768},{recbuf,32768}] },
>    {inet_default_connect_options, [{nodelay,true}] }
>  ]},
>  {os_mon, [
>    {start_cpu_sup, false},
>  ]}
> ].

That looks okay, tough I'm not able to check if you haven't missed a
coma or a bracket.
But I can share my /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config:

[
                {kernel,
                        [{inet_dist_listen_min, 50000},
                         {inet_dist_listen_max, 60000},
                         {inet_default_listen_options, [{nodelay,true}]},
                         {inet_default_connect_options, [{nodelay,true}]}
                        ]
                },
                {rabbit,
                        [{vm_memory_high_watermark, 0.1}]