[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbitmq server crash and no start more

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Tue Jan 26 13:05:34 GMT 2010

Gustavo,

Actually, further testing reveals it's a bit more subtle.

sudo, by default, resets the environment when changing user, unless you
give it the -E option.

su, by default, although it has a --preserve-environment option, will
copy over all the RABBITMQ_* environment settings when changing user.

I wouldn't be surprised if OS X decides to do everything differently
again...

Thus if you repeat my previous foo.sh test, but use su instead of sudo,
you will get "wibble" out.

Our scripts use "su", not "sudo" and so *should* preserve the
environment.

However, that aside, I'd still suggest that putting
NODENAME=rabbit at Nefertiti in your /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.conf - it is on
the whole safer than using env vars. I do hope your machine can resolve
Nefertiti

Matthew