[rabbitmq-discuss] HA queues

Michael Vierling MVierling at attinteractive.com
Thu Feb 25 22:20:24 GMT 2010

We're using RabbitMQ for several internal projects.  However there have
been requests for HA Queues.  HA queues would leverage a design similar
to MasterSlave, i.e. http://activemq.apache.org/pure-master-slave.html
However, unlike ActiveMQ, the feature could operate at the queue level,
instead of the Broker level.  Currently when a RabbitMQ queue is
declared it has a primary node content owner.  If the node hardware
fails or is shutdown, clients will get a 404 error if they attempt to
subscribe or publish to this queue, on other cluster nodes.

We're considering designing an Erlang patch to RabbitMQ to handle the
404 case, and support a MasterSlave queue failover.

Thoughts, comments?  Is this something already planned or prototyped?

Thanks,
Michael