[rabbitmq-discuss] Running RabbitMQ with Erlware

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Sat Feb 6 20:11:53 GMT 2010

David,

david_sansot at playstation.sony.com wrote:
> We are in the process of updating our versions of rabbitmq and erlang.
> To get the latest erlang on our box we decided to try erlware (We're
> running CentOS 5.4 and the latest we can get through ERPL is R12B).
> Installing erl from erlware seemed to work fine (R13B03).  We installed
> rabbitmq 1.7.1 from the rpm.
>
> When we try to start the server, we get an error that os_mon can not be
> started (yes, os_mon is installed):
>
>     {"init terminating in
>     do_boot",{{nocatch,{error,{cannot_start_application,os_mon,{not_started,sasl}}}},[{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}

os_mon depends on sasl, and the above error indicates that sasl hasn't
been started.

All the rabbit startup scripts we ship do start sasl automatically, so
it's strange that you see the above. What startup script are you invoking?

 > We are able to start os_mon from the erl shell.

Without starting sasl? If I try that I get the following:

$ erl
Erlang R13B03 (erts-5.7.4) [source] [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0]
[hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.7.4  (abort with ^G)
1> application:start(os_mon).
{error,{not_started,sasl}}

which is exactly the same error as above.

By contrast, when starting erlang with sasl enabled (in the same way our
startup scripts do) I get:

$ erl -boot start_sasl
Erlang R13B03 (erts-5.7.4) [source] [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0]
[hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

[lots of PROGRESS_REPORTs ...]

1> application:start(os_mon).

[lots more PROGRESS_REPORTs ...]

ok

So I suspect there is something wrong with your startup script.

Regards,

Matthias