[rabbitmq-discuss] does native web xmpp plugin in rabbitmq makes sense?

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 12:29:14 GMT 2010

Ben,

I have taken the liberty of bcc'ing a couple of people with experience
of both XMPP and AMQP.  They may have some better answers to your
questions.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Ben Browitt <ben.browitt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alexis
>
> Let's take Facebook chat as an example. You only have web interface with
> xmpp or a custom protocol.
> You have several servers that need to sync.
> How RabbitMQ can be usefull in this scenario?

I think there are several ways that RabbitMQ can be useful here.
First of all though, please do note that 'xmpp chat' is after all
*the* core use case for ejabberd and I would very much expect that it
would do the best job in many of these cases.

That said: RabbitMQ could be useful if you want to use a proprietary
or 'custom' protocol, eg roll-your-own for the web interface, and a
binary back end.  No use of XML.  And by the same token, RabbitMQ
could be useful if you want to combine XMPP with this.

> Do you mean that each IM
> server will have a RabbitMQ node
> that will send and receive sync messages from other RabbitMQ nodes on other
> IM servers?

Well, that is not a use case I had considered since I would imagine
that XMPP IM servers should federate happily OOTB.

I don't have much experience of the load patterns that might make a
person favour AMQP in the way that Jack tweeted about here:
http://tweeteorites.com/tweet/8198995879

I keep a list of links here that you may find useful:
http://delicious.com/alexisrichardson/rabbitmq+xmpp

Best wishes

alexis