[rabbitmq-discuss] SNMP Plugin.

Matt Oconnell matt.oconnell at itaction.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 14:55:22 GMT 2010

I'm having some issues getting the experimental SNMP plugin to work.
Rabbitmq is new to me, and i'm tasked with providing some monitoring
tools.

I've installed the 2.2.0 server on Centos OS 5.
When i follow the build instrutctions in github, using version_1.7 of
rabbitmq-server, the build fails. When i use an upto date version of
the rabbitmq-public-umbrella the build runs ok after
adding "APPNAME=rabbit_snmp" to the Makefile.

However, when i drop the zip file into the plugins directory, and
update /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config as detailed. I get the following
error when starting the server...

Activating RabbitMQ plugins ...
1 plugins activated:
* rabbit_snmp-0.0.1

{"could not start kernel pid",application_controller,"error in config
file \"/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config\" (7): bad term"}

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
could not start kernel pid (application_controller) (error in config
file "/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config" (7): bad term)

and here is the contents of said file

{rabbit_snmp,
   [
    % set the desired data update interval in milliseconds
    {update_interval, 10000}
   ]
  },
  {snmp, [
    {agent, [
      % db_dir will be set by the snmp plugin before it starts snmp so
leave this commented out
      %{db_dir, ""},
      {versions, [v1, v2]},
      % dir will be added by the snmp plugin before it starts snmp, so
dont add it to the config block below
      {config, [{verbosity, silence}]},
      {net_if, [{verbosity, silence}]}
    ]},
    {verbosity, silence}
  ]}
.

so is this an erlang error regarding the definition of the app?
Any pointers would be appreciated..

Thanks
Mat