[rabbitmq-discuss] Multi tenancy

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Dec 14 14:05:15 GMT 2010

On 14/12/10 11:09, Mark Hudson wrote:
> My client wants to rent their application to multiple customers - multi
> tenancy. I'm currently thinking to use a RabbitMQ virtual host per
> company, so each company is separated with  their own queues, allowing
> me to throttle, turn on/off consumers on a per company basis, and to
> scale out a companies brokers if need be. Does this sound ok ?

That sounds fairly reasonable, but be aware that there's no quotas or
any similar mechanism to prevent a greedy user from swamping the machine.

> I also propose to create accounts for the different consumers/producers
> in the system, this would have to be multiplied by the number of
> companies, so I could imagine the administration of all those users,
> permissions and nodes might be a bit time consuming. Has anybody done
> something like this, or is there a better approach ?

It shouldn't be too painful as long as you keep each user confined to
its own vhost. I would write a script that used rabbitmqctl or
rabbitmqadmin to read a list of companies and make sure all the needed
users / vhosts / permissions exist (and raise an alarm if extra
permissions exist).

In the future, pluggable authentication backends might help solve some
of your problem.

Cheers, Simon
--
Simon MacMullen