[rabbitmq-discuss] Using ReplyTo

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu Apr 15 19:13:20 BST 2010

Jon,

Jon Brisbin wrote:
> Maybe I'm not approaching this correctly. I was wondering how the
> ReplyTo property is meant to be used by the consumer that is supposed
> to reply to requests. I'd prefer not to have to assume an exchange,
> so I've been trying to figure out the best way to send responses back
> to clients.

Typically the replyTo field contains the name of the reply queue. And
you use that as the routing key of the reply message and send that
message to the default exchange.

The default exchange mainly exists for this and similar use cases. You
can think of it as providing a convenient mechanism for addressing
queues directly, i.e. any message sent to the default exchange is routed
to the queue named in the routing key.

Regards,

Matthias.