[rabbitmq-discuss] Using ReplyTo

Jon Brisbin jon.brisbin at npcinternational.com
Thu Apr 15 19:00:49 BST 2010

Maybe I'm not approaching this correctly. I was wondering how the ReplyTo property is meant to be used by the consumer that is supposed to reply to requests. I'd prefer not to have to assume an exchange, so I've been trying to figure out the best way to send responses back to clients.

I pushed some code to GitHub for a JMX MBean invoker that uses RabbitMQ and in the consumer that does the invoking, I take the ReplyTo property and split it on a comma (I've also experimented with a colon and other characters).

I just don't like the feel of this, though. Maybe it's okay, but I worry that having to rely on splitting the replyTo to get my exchange and routingKey values might break something. Maybe I should use a header value or even code the response exchange and queue into the body of the request?

I'd like to hear how others are using the replyTo in responding to requests...

Jon Brisbin
Portal Webmaster
NPC International, Inc.