[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbit disk_mode branch eating up all RAM, including swap, dying

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Thu Oct 8 12:20:41 BST 2009

Hi Brian,

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 11:04:21AM +0100, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> However, if you just had billions of
> messages in there, then even in a non clustered setup, I could believe
> mnesia would be taking a long time to start up and that might cause the
> above error.

I've just come across this thread:
http://www.trapexit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=44433
which does indeed seem to support the idea that even modest mnesia
databases can take rather more than the 30 seconds we give them to
start up. Given that I would imagine this could happen even in v1.7
with, say, a couple million durable queues, exchanges and bindings,
this is certainly something we will look at as the 30 second timeout
may well be grossly too short.

Matthew